Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Fairy and Her Fire Lizard Friend



I'm getting ready for a Renaissance Fair in Santa Fe this coming weekend, and I finally finished this watercolor! The original is the full image, from sky to ground, and the prints will be like that as well, but I cropped the focus for an ACEO and for pendant transfers. A friend told me the initial sketch for this piece reminded her of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsinger trilogy, in which a young woman named Menolly has nine "fire lizards," which are essentially miniature dragons. I hadn't read the first in the trilogy, Dragonsong, before I started this painting, but I listened to it as I worked on it. Gotta love being able to download audio books from the library. :D

4 comments:

Dena E's Blog said...

Simply breath taking Sweetie !!!
Beautiful ~~~ And the colors are soooo delicate to the eye..
May God's blessings be all over you ~~~Hugs Dena

Jamie Phillips said...

I am a new follower. Are your art cards anything like atc cards? It is lovely.

Carol Moore said...

Gorgeous work! I really love the colors in this one :)

Kelley Pounds said...

Thank you, Dena and Carol! I wasn't sure about the wings at first, but after a while I decided I liked them.